Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band Plication
This is a restrictive laparoscopic procedure that combines the benefits of both gastric banding and gastric plication. It is suitable for patients who wish to restrict their stomach size without removing part of their stomach (ie. it is completely reversible). By folding in the greater curvature of the stomach, stomach size will be reduced (forming a “banana shape” stomach), and thereby effectively limiting the amount of food that could be taken. This surgery also reaps better results than using a gastric band alone. However, as the top part of the stomach responsible for hormone secretion is not removed; appetite is less reduced. Studies have shown that weight regain is significant following plication ONLY, therefore for better long lasting weight loss, a gastric band is also placed for later adjustment if needed.
Procedure of LAGBP
This surgery is suitable for patients with a BMI of more than 30. A liquid diet is suggested two weeks before the surgery. No food is allowed on the day before the surgery. Performed under general anesthesia, 4 to 5 small incisions will be made on the abdomen, each being 1-2 cm in diameter, so that laparoscopic instruments could be inserted. The greater curvature of the stomach will be folded and secured with sutures, then followed by placement of an adjustable gastric band at the top of stomach.
The surgery takes approximately one and half to two hours. Patients may move around after the surgery and will be hospitalized for 3 to 4 days. For the first two weeks after the surgery, only liquids may be taken. Normal diet may be resumed after one month. Patients are strongly advised to have strict diet control and maintain a healthy lifestyle to prevent weight regain. Patients will be followed up regularly to monitor weight loss and nutritional status.
Benefits of LAGBP
- Reversible: Unlike sleeve gastrectomy, gastric plication only folds in the greater curvature of the stomach and securing with sutures to achieve the “banana-shape”. Sutures can be removed if necessary and the stomach will resume its original shape.
- Low risk: This surgery is low risk and patients are expected to make quick recovery via this approach. Since it does not require stapling (as in sleeve gastrectomy), therefore risk of perforation or bleeding is relatively lower.
- Effective appetite reduction: When compared with gastric banding, gastric band plication has more prominent results on weight reduction, achieving results similar to laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy but without resecting the stomach.
Risks of LAGBP
- Some patients may experience nausea and vomiting after the surgery. This can be improved by changing eating habit.
- Weight regain is much reduced when plication is combined with gastric banding.
Please click here for information about gastric banding surgery.
News articles about gastric plication and gastric banding
1. 全球減重手術新指標 Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
高雄義大醫院國際減重暨糖尿病手術網站主任 黃致錕 醫師率領資料提供執行創新的可逆性手術 --- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy，並領導全球減重手術新趨勢，為肥胖性患者提供了全新的治療選擇。
Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy的建立，已獲得美國肥胖外科醫學會期刊的認可。體重過重者接受減重手術之後，除可使患者回到正常生活軌道、增加自信之外，還能減少醫療資源浪費、節省慢性疾病的藥物開支。
2. 胃束帶折疊術佳績 減6成過多體重
一名原本體重115公斤合併嚴重脂肪肝與高血脂症的Amanda小姐，在接受Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy後，體重從115公斤降至67公斤，至今已經成功減少48公斤，相當於減少了一位年輕女性的體重，進而找到人生的伴侶。
The information on this website is for general educational purpose only.
Readers should consult their physician before considering treatment, and should not interpret their condition solely based on the information above.